Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chocolate Layer Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream: The Remix

Last year for Tim's birthday, I sent him to work with a cake to share with his project team; I think it was a vanilla pound cake with raspberry filling and buttercream but it was a long time ago and I've had many cocktails between now and then, so I can't be sure.  

Tim has since asked me to make other baked goodies for his project team, which I am happy to do, because a number 1) I love to bake, and b number 2), its much better for me and my pants if I can bake something and then give it away.

Last night, at Tim's request, I baked a birthday cake for his lovely admin, J. When birthdays are involved, I have a go-to chocolate cake recipe that always delights and is super easy, courtesy of Ina Garten. I've done this cake many times; following her combination of chocolate cake and chocolate buttercream exactly; serving it plain with a dusting of powdered sugar; a quick infusion of grand marnier into the frosting. They have all worked.

Last night, however, as I was making the cake, all I could smell was oil. All I could taste was oil. I started to wonder if maybe I had carelessly used the wrong size measuring cup because surely vegetable oil can't go rancid? It can. And it did. I couldn't serve this disaster to J for her birthday! I had to start over.

I managed to come across this recipe from the food network site for a One Bowl Chocolate Cake. At 11pm, this sounded like the best case scenario-one bowl, baked in 30 minutes and then I can go to bed? Perfect. The buttercream was already ready (and delicious, I might add) so I went for it.

The batter had a wonderful consistency and fantastic cocoa smell; the cakes covered up the oily stench of the previous failures wonderfully. I pulled these babies out of the oven 2 minutes early to let them cool overnight while I crashed upstairs.

Lesson learned: much like a car, your cooking oils too need to be changed!
One Bowl Chocolate Cake
adapted from Jamie Deen

2c flour
2c sugar
1c high quality unsweetened cocoa powder (I used ghiradelli)
2tsp baking soda
1 1/4tsp baking powder
1tsp kosher salt
1c buttermilk
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2c warm water
3 eggs
2tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease two 8" or 9" round cake pans; if you want to get fancy and put in a sheet of parchment at the bottom, it makes removal super easy.
Sift flour and add the remaining dry ingredients to the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment and mix on low speed until combined. Turn the mixer up a notch and add your eggs, one at a time, then the rest of the remaining wet ingredients. Whisk until well blended; your batter will be nice and thick.


Divide batter evenly among your two cake pans; tap the bottom the cake pan on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean-mine were perfect after 28 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Level cakes so that they are even, then frost generously with a spatula and top with sliced strawberries or other fruit.


Vanilla Bean Buttercream
Courtesy of Yossy at Apt2B

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 lb sifted confectioners sugar
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1T vanilla extract
large pinch of salt


Cream butter in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment until smooth. Add the sugar and salt and beat on high until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla bean and extract, then slowly blend until all elements are well incorporated. 

*This buttercream will keep in the fridge for a week at least, but it will need to be room temp to spread without destroying your cake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment