Monday, July 16, 2012

Slump in the Oven


Sundays are usually my day to "relax" so to speak; this really means sleeping until about 9, maybe going to yoga (though I'm trying to not exercise 7 days a week) and definitely the weekly Whole Foods run. Yes I know. I should go to the farmers market, but it tends to coincide with my yoga practice and I'm just not quite ready to wake up at 7am on a Saturday.

Regardless, I am spoiled for choice at my local WFM, who yesterday supplied me with tons of fabulous local produce and seafood. Can I just say Texas peaches are the best? Not to mention blueberries, watermelon, tomatoes, zucchini, and gulf shrimp. Fabulous! But I digress.

After picking up several pints of blueberries, I decided not only did I need to freeze about half of them, I should make something delicious with them. Behold the Slump, which I decided was the perfect Sunday dessert to serve with the Grilled Eggplant and Haloumi Pesto Burger I made for T. For those of you thinking I'm crazy to bake in the middle of the summer, we have an abundance of AC here in Texas, but if you use frozen berries this is a year-round dessert.
I'd like to thank the lovely people at Saveur for the inspiration and recipe, which I modified. It still tasted great, but I'll continue to tinker. I reduced the amount of sugar in the blueberry skillet by a considerable amount, which may have been why the slump turned out so juicy. Could have also been the berries!


Blueberry Slump
adapted from Saveur

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
4 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
1 ¼ cups milk
2 pints blueberries
3/4cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup fresh lemon juice

Lemon Zest
Vanilla Ice Cream, for serving (optional)

Whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, and ½ tsp. salt in a large bowl; add butter, and using your fingers, rub butter into flour until pea-size crumbles form. Add milk, and stir just until a moist dough forms; cover and refrigerate dough until ready to use. I used whole wheat flour here, and the biscuits were good but maybe a bit dense. I will try WW pastry flour next time.

Heat oven to 400°. Bring 2T  sugar and salt along with blueberries and citrus juices to a boil in a 10″ cast-iron  skillet over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove pan from heat, and using two tablespoons, portion and form chilled dough into 2–3″ oval dumplings, and drop them evenly on top of the blueberry mixture. Sprinkle dough dumplings with sugar, and transfer skillet to oven; bake until biscuits are cooked through and blueberry mixture is reduced, about 25 minutes. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream or greek yogurt (as I did) if you like.

I also sprinkled brown sugar on top of the dumplings to help give a little carmel-y action. In hindsight, I should have used less orange juice as well, it probably could have been omitted. Regardless, this was an easy summertime dessert to make, assuming you are willing to turn your oven on.

No comments:

Post a Comment