Tuesday, September 25, 2012

After a brief hiatus...

And we're back. We had quite a busy August, and I seriously slacked off. I was also having doubts about the blog, but I've come back with a vengeance-and a new plan.

After spending the first and last weeks of August traveling and vacationing, lets just say we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. The whole vacation month ended with a boozy wedding in a castle in Scotland. I'm pretty sure we drank enough to drown a small horse, and needless to say I was ready to get back into the routine.

I started the beginning of September with a program at my yoga studio, Baron Baptiste's 40 Days to a Personal Revolution. And with that, I've been practicing yoga 6 days a week. Not wanting to be an underacheiver, I also registered for the Whole Life Challenge through my crossfit box. With these two challenges underway, I'm back on a good exercise regimen supported by a super clean eating program. Lucky for Tim, he gets to participate from the sidelines.

I am feeling the need to help support my fellow WLC'ers, so for the next 7.5 weeks I'll be sharing dinner recipes, Sunday prep ideas, and things that I'm eating to give them another resource. Tim, of course, will be mostly exempt, although he's happily eaten WLC compliant dinners 3 nights in a row.

Caucaisan Asian Shrimp Salad

Shrimp:
1lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 stalk lemongrass, crushed and sliced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
Salt, Pepper

Salad:
4c baby spinach or baby arugula (any green will do here)
1 tomato; I used a yellow heirloom
1 avocado
3 green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2c cilantro, chopped
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 lime
Salt, Pepper

Place the shrimp with the lemongrass, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil in a bowl and toss to coat. Let marinate for a few minutes, or cover and place in your fridge until ready to use.

Prep your salad, because the shrimp cook quickly. Wash and dry your greens and divide between two plates or bowls. Slice tomato and avocado and divide between plates. Toss in chopped cilantro, and top with sesame oil and squeeze of lime.

Heat a saute pan over medium heat and lightly lubricate with olive oil or extra sesame oil. Add the shrimp with all of the marinade to the pan with the green onion pieces and cook for about 5-6 minutes, depending on size. They will be pink and firm when they are cooked through.

Pile shrimp on top of salad, hit with another squeeze of lime juice, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment