Friday, September 28, 2012

Breakfast for Me. And You.

I realize I haven't posted many dinners this week; I just completed a 3 day raw food cleanse AND traveled for work which meant Tim got alot of grilled cheese and frozen pizza. Which I think actually made him pretty happy, but it's not anything I really need to put out in the blogosphere. 

The raw food cleanse was good, although I definitely noticed my desire for protein sources and unfortunately raw meat was off the menu. As my friend K says, "Juice is not food." Smoothies, however, are!

I have been having a protein smoothie for breakfast every (work) morning for a few months now, and I have gone through several different iterations and flavor combinations. While I gave up the egg white protein for a few days for my cleanse, I still continued to enjoy a smoothie for breakfast. 

Ah smoothies. They take about 3 minutes to make, are easily transportable, and the flavor combinations are endless. They can be adapted to moods, seasons, or whatever you happen to have in the fridge/freezer. When I go to early morning yoga practices, I make one the night before and put it in the freezer so that it can melt at the same time as me; then I can eat it with a spoon at the office. They're especially great in the summertime when it's a zillion degrees outside, but can basically be enjoyed year round in Texas. 

This week I've been enjoying banana-mocha smoothies, which I'm sharing today for the crossfitters. I find this flavor combination  kindof helps give you your chocolate fix without adding any sugar, as the bananas are plenty sweet. You also get some good fats from the almond butter and a dose of omegas from the flaxseed meal. You can add a scoop of protein powder too if you'd like; I'm using the Vitol brand Vanilla Ice Cream flavor, which is great and not too sweet, it blends really well with everything. 

Banana Mocha Smoothie

1 banana, fresh or frozen
1tbsp almond butter
1tbsp Navitas raw Cacao Powder 
1tbsp flax seed meal
1/2c almond milk, or milk of your choice (homemade pictured)
1 shot espresso (optional)
1 scoop protein powder of your choice (optional)
Ice, as needed

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. When you get the vortex in your blender, you'll know you've got an even consistency. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment